Maps of Edinburgh landscapes through time
August 1, 2022 1:00pm Dugald Stewart Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 3BJ
August 5, 2022 10:30am Dugald Stewart Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 3BJ
Edinburgh has many different landscapes that have accrued through time: We will imagine and discuss these landscapes from Calton Hill
“Landscape” invariably conjures up a picture of the natural environment and its aesthetic appeal. However, the term can be applied more widely in the urban environment to include, for example, strategic and architectural landscapes. With a rich history itself, Calton Hill provides the perfect viewpoint to imagine Edinburgh’s landscapes changing through time. We will use historical and modern maps of the city, progressing from the underlying geology to the present day and looking into the future. The excursion will conclude with an optional short orienteering exercise using the latest digitally-created map of the Hill.
Please use the following links to book your preferred date:
Important points to note
- This event is suitable for age 16+
- Accessibility Statement: We aim to make events as accessible as possible. If you have any accessibility requirements or any questions about how we can support this event, please contact the RSE Public Engagement team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants should be comfortable observing from and moving around the top of Calton Hill for 1-1.5 hours
- Clothing/footwear should be appropriate for observing from and moving around the top of Calton Hill for 1-1.5 hours. Access to the hill is likely to be via steps or a fairly steep path. Good walking surface on the top of the hill. The walking distance during the event is a few hundred metres.
- Wheelchair access to the Hill is from Regent Road.
- Toilets are available at the Collective.
- If the weather is likely to be very hot, a hat and some water are advisable.
- If the weather is likely to be inclement, the event will be relocated to the Royal Society of Edinburgh – advance notification of any changes will be provided by the RSE.
- The event will be presenter-led and the meeting place is the Dugald Stewart Monument at the west end of the top of the hill.